by Hugh Liddle
Red Cap Sales Coaching
This epic line by Scarlett O’Hara in “Gone With The Wind” is a classic. And it illustrates a big problem in business. If your personality style is anything like mine, the deadline is when you start a project, not when you finish it! Now, I’ve matured in my style over the years and I’m much better at “Do It Now” than I used to be. That’s because, over the years, I’ve noticed a few things:
• Dishes are pretty easy to wash if you wash them right after you cook or eat. Dishes left until the next day (or longer) take much longer to clean because the food is dried on.
• It’s not any easier to make a phone call today than it would have been a couple of days or a week ago. And I’ve lost clients and sales because I messed around too long.
• People appreciate and admire prompt action…and they don’t like being kept waiting!
• A great idea that isn’t written down immediately will soon be a great idea that someone else implements or that just vanishes in the haze.
• It’s much easier to process 20 or 30 emails than it is to deal with 1,030 of them.
• When my beautiful wife says, “Honey, the light bulb needs to be changed, that doesn’t mean sometime in the next 6 months. It means get up and do it right now!
The British poet, Edward Young, who died shortly before the Revolutionary War, wrote that “Procrastination is the thief of time.” That points up the fact that it doesn’t take much more time and energy to go ahead and do something than it does to go through the process of procrastinating. And it is certainly true that if you take time to procrastinate, AND then time to actually do the task, you’re using up more of your valuable time and being much less productive.
So make it your priority in this new year to stop “thinking about it tomorrow” and start doing it today. It’ll make your life simpler, easier, more productive and more profitable.
If you’d like to have a friendly conversation with a Red Cap Sales Coach about your business and your sales, you can…pro bono (yep, that means free)! Just CLICK HERE complete the brief survey, and we’ll arrange a time to chat with you.
Hugh Liddle is the man with the Red Cap, and he founded Red Cap Sales Coaching so he could teach business people to sell in a different way, in an authentically human way, that connected the seller and the buyer together in a mutually beneficial relationship.
Hugh’s coaching turns selling into a fun, pleasant, profitable experience for salesperson and prospect alike.
“The Man With The Red Cap” is an accomplished author, speaker, and radio talk show host. He has over 40 years experience in selling, and his coaching has helped large numbers of business owners and sales people achieve outstanding results. As a public speaker Hugh has motivated large business audiences right across North America.
He’s the author of Selling For Fun and Profit – Take the “icky” and “Scary” Out of Sales. He hosts the “Sales Chalk Talk” radio show on Blog Talk Radio every Tuesday night, where he talks about sales, marketing, business and success and interviews coaches, authors, salespeople, marketing professionals and other interesting folks.
When Hugh takes off his red cap you can find him residing in Sebring, Florida, with his wife, Priscilla, Mooch and Minnie the Cats and Snappy the Alligator. He has six children and 12 grandchildren, one beautiful great-grandson and a large following of grateful business people (friends) who he has helped over the past 40 years.