“Excellent firms don’t believe in excellence – only in constant improvement and constant change.”
When I speak to groups I’ll often I use the line, “If you’re as good as you’re going to be, life is as good as it’s going to get.” Many times I make them repeat it and really let it sink in. Take some time and read it again: “If you’re as good as you’re going to be, life is as good as it’s going to get.”
Everyone wants to be successful, make the sale, get in shape or otherwise improve themselves or their situation. Who doesn’t? Why do you think so many people play the lottery? But, how many are actually willing to DO what it takes to achieve the results they seek? Are YOU? Are you willing to make the sacrifices and the effort to reach new heights? I hope so, because that’s what separates those who “want” from those who “have”.
So, what can you do TODAY to improve yourself and your life? Well, for one you’re reading this blog (and hopefully many others like it). Continuous education is imperative for growth and if you go about your day looking for opportunities to learn and improve, you’ll be shocked at how many there are. Spending time with people who have different skill sets is important, too.
I’ve often said that if I didn’t hang around with people smarter than me, I’d be VERY lonely.
Are you feeding your body AND mind properly? Never stop learning and growing.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve done a lot better with my mind than my body in my life. You don’t have open heart surgery at 43-years old because they want to see how healthy you are in there. I was a smoker for more than 25 years and I’m happy to say that I have over three years under my belt as a non-smoker. I’ve battled weight problems most of my adult life, but I’m LEARNING. I’m not as good as I want to be, so I’m learning more about diet, exercise and how to properly manage other things that can add a few pounds to a guy my age.
I think I do very well at feeding my mind (I’ve not had brain surgery). I read. A lot. Seriously. I read…A LOT! I usually have two or three books going at one time on my iPad and have a series of blogs, websites and newsletters that I read on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
Why? Because I want to get better at what I do; I’m not done yet.
Which brings us back to where we started: “If you’re as good as you’re going to be, life is as good as it’s going to get.”
It’s all about continually improving and here are five things you can do NOW:
1) Read GOOD books: Challenge yourself to see how many you can read this year. If you don’t want to spend the money, check a book out from the library. But if you like it, I suggest you buy it so you can re-read it time and time again.
2) Attend seminars & webinars: Any time you get an opportunity to hear a speaker or attend a seminar: take it! There is nothing like the information gathered in a live event. Nothing. Plus, with just a little effort you can find plenty of webinars on motivation, sales skills and issues that are specific to your industry. Make them a regular part of your schedule.
3) Find a mentor: Who is someone you respect and has achieved things you want to achieve? Pick their brain. Take them to lunch once in a while and just visit. You will notice that successful people LOVE to share their success stories and ideas with people who are hungry for knowledge.
4) Relax: Take time to recharge your batteries on a regular basis. Yes, many successful people work many long hours, however one common trait is they do take time to relax.
5) Be a sponge: Never miss an opportunity to learn something new. Never.
6) BECOME a mentor: One of the most effective ways to hone your skills is to assist and help others better theirs!
Question: What are some other things you’ve done to continually improve your skills and grow in your life? I’d love to hear from you.
Want more great advice like If You’re as Good as You’re Going to Be, Life’s as Good as It’s Going to Get?